Probate Court of DeKalb County
Weapons Carry License Information
Location: DeKalb County Courthouse, Judicial Tower, Room B190 (basement floor)
Hours of Operation (excluding holidays): Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-4:00 PM
Requirements for Weapons Carry License
- You must be domiciled in DeKalb County.
- You must bring valid identification (Georgia driver’s license or Georgia ID) with your current DeKalb County address. A post office box is not acceptable. If your identification does not show your current DeKalb County address, then you must provide sufficient documentation such as a current utility bill (gas, power, water).
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- If you are 18-20 years of age, you may apply if you provide proof that you have completed basic training in the armed forces of the United States and you provide proof that you are actively serving in the armed forces of the United States or that you have been honorably discharged from such service.
- You must be photographed.
- You must be fingerprinted.
- You must undergo a criminal background check.
- You must show proof of your lawful presence in the United States if you are not a United States citizen.
Fees for Weapons Carry
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY – DEKALB COUNTY PROBATE COURT DOES NOT ACCEPT BILLS LARGER THAN A $20.
- Effective January 1, 2019, the total fee for a first-time weapons carry license is $78, which includes the license, fingerprinting and criminal background check. You will pay $73 to the DeKalb County Probate Court by cash, money order, certified check, VISA, MasterCard, or Discover. No personal checks are accepted. When you are fingerprinted at the DeKalb County Police Department, the fee will be $5.00 cash.
- If you are a retired law enforcement officer, please ask about fees at the time of application.
- Once you complete the application process, you will take your application to the DeKalb County Police Department in order to be fingerprinted. The law requires that you must be fingerprinted within five business days of submitting an application for a weapons carry license. The fee for fingerprinting is $5.00 cash. You will need to show proper identification. If you are not a United States citizen, you will need to provide additional proof of legal status.
- The DeKalb County Police Department is located in the Bobby Burgess Building at 3630 Camp Circle; Decatur, GA 30032 (near I-285 and Memorial Drive). The hours are Monday-Thursday (excluding holidays), 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Renewal of Weapons Carry License
- To apply for a renewal, you must present your valid weapons carry license when you submit the renewal application. It cannot be renewed more than 90 days prior to the expiration date or more than 30 days after the expiration date.
- The total fee for renewal is $30.00 payable by cash, money order, certified check, VISA, MasterCard or Discover. No personal checks are accepted.
- There is no fingerprinting requirement for a renewal applicant.
- At the time you apply for a renewal license, you may apply for a temporary renewal license. The fee is $1.00.
Replacement of Weapons Carry License
- If your license is lost, damaged, or stolen, you must report it to the Probate Court within 48 hours of discovery of such loss or damaged license in order to get a replacement license. If your license is damaged, you must bring it with you. If you later find the lost license, you must return it to the Probate Court immediately.
- The total fee for a replacement license is $6.00 cash.
- All fees are nonrefundable.
- A weapons carry license is valid for five years unless revoked.
- For additional information on eligibility, refer to O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129.